Thursday, April 28, 2011

Late Discoveries

Four months gone. Two days left. I've taken so many long walks around the city since I've been here, and I'm still discovering new things, even in the areas I walked past every single day this semester.

For instance, I spent Holy Thursday relaxing, sketching, and people-watching on Tiber Island with Steph Cervantes. While there, we found a gelateria with the softest, creamiest gelato I've ever had that dares to rival even Giolitti, just five minutes from the apartment. But there was only a week left to enjoy it.

Last week before jury, I stopped into the bar right across from studio because it was convenient for a pick-me-up cappuccino. With a week and a half left, I realized that a decent 90 cent cappuccino and delicious cornetto were just across the piazza. Why didn't I ever stop in there before?

While walking home from the center yesterday, I decided to cut through the Jewish Ghetto. In the sunshine, it made for a beautiful and interesting walk (not just the same things I see every day).

I've taken pride in the fact that after four months I can walk through the center and know exactly where I am or at least know which direction I'm headed in relation to landmarks like the Tiber, Campo, the Pantheon, Via del Corso, the Forum, Piazza Navona, or the Vatican. I may know where I am, but I still don't know all there is to see and do. I'm happy to still be discovering, but I wish it didn't have to end so soon. Going home is exciting, but I'm really going to miss this Roman adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment